Thursday, January 31, 2008

Mark bungy jumping at Kawarau Bridge!

As you can see from the video, I went bungy jumping and lived to tell the tale!

This morning we set out from Queenstown for the Kawarau Bridge, which is the world’s original bungy jumping site. I was hoping for a few minutes to calm my nerves before the jump, but there was no one ahead of me in the queue so I was quickly strapped to the cord and led to the edge of the precipice. It’s a 43m drop to the river below, and I’m not afraid to say I had a moment of panic when I peered over the edge. Why on earth am I throwing myself off a bridge?!

Luckily though I had no time for second thoughts, as the guy said, “OK then, 3, 2, 1….” and with that I launched myself into the abyss. You may be able to make out a roar of elation as I hurtled earthwards – absolutely not a scream of terror as June believed it to be!

If that wasn’t enough adrenalin for one day, we both went on a jetboat trip up the Shotover River in the afternoon, which was really good fun. Jetboats don’t have any propellers and are able to operate in 4 inches of water, and can do incredible twists and turns. We got pretty wet but had a great time.

Today was a total change from the last few days. We had a lovely time cruising the Milford and Doubtful Sounds – they are really stunning and peaceful places, and on both days a pod of dolphins came up to see us, which was magical. We tried to take a few photos of them, but they move pretty quick!

Yesterday we arrived in Queenstown and went up Deer Park Heights, which is a nature reserve which by happy coincidence was also a location used in Lord of the Rings! So both June and I had a lovely time there. Some cute photos of the animals are on the Flickr site.

Time to go and lie down now I think…

No comments: